The Art of Frankenweenie Exhibition

September 10, 2012

Later this week, annual passholders can pay $290 for dinner and a sneak peek at a new exhibit coming to Disney California Adventure, “The Art of Frankenweenie.” Or they can see it here now for FREE! The same exhibit has been touring the country, and we got to give it our patented bazillion-photo treatment at Comic Con in July.

I have to say, I originally had zero interest in seeing the full-length version of Frankenweenie. I’ve seen the short and think it’s cute, but… Then I saw this exhibit, and I was hooked! The sets are a-friggin-mazing in their detail. If you do get a chance to see this exhibit once it opens to the public at DCA, look for the switches that let you operate lights and other bits of the attic set.

At Comic Con, they had a display case of merchandise set up before you entered the exhibit. So far I haven’t seen any of it in the parks yet. If you come across this cat anywhere, please tweet me IMMEDIATELY!

This was set up in the queue…

The largest of the three sets is the amazing attic lab, which is the one with switches you can flip to turn on lights and things…

The classroom set is similarly spectacular…

One corner was set up like a workbench covered in puppets and maquettes.

The last set is the family kitchen. What was really neat about this one is the cubbyholes at the front of it containing perfect pint-sized props with details that moviegoers will never see, like retro record albums, canapes, and tools.

Hopefully this set will be arranged so that you can walk all the way around it like at Comic Con—it allows you to peek in through the other windows for a new perspective.

The Art of Frankenweenie Exhibition will be on display at Disney California Adventure Sept. 14 to November 5.

Tim September 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM

The sets and puppets do look great, but I still would feel better about Frankenweenie knowing that Henry Selick was involved in some capacity.

Carrie September 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM

He and Burton do kinda balance each other out, don’t they? Seems like when they work separately there’s no one to tell them when something’s a bad idea!

Carla September 11, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Great pictures! And I’m with you on that cat–love it!!

Carrie September 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Seriously… MUST have…!

Hope at Disneyland September 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM

How cool! I have to say I had zero interest in the exhibit or the movie, but your post has intrigued me and I hope to see the sets live at DCA (for free though of course!) ;)

Thanks for sharing and I hope you find that cat plush.

Carrie September 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Thanks! I found a Japanese site that’s taking pre-orders for Mr. Whiskers, but I don’t know if that means it won’t be available at all in the US…

Hope at Disneyland September 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

The Japanese always have the best merch! I hope the U.S. has it soon so you can save on shipping and apply your AP discount to it. :)

Jenn Paul September 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM

As always, LOVE your write up and review! It always amazes me how similar yet different burtons characters are! Obviously we here are and have been gung ho for this movie, but now I am extra excited! Great pics, love the small details!

Thanks <3

Carrie September 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I was really impressed by the shots Patrick got! I love all his different perspectives on the classroom. :)

Brandi September 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Great pics. Have not seen a stuffed Mr. Whiskers as of yet, on the look-out for him though!

The exhibit set-up at DCA is great! We were able to see the movie before anyone else at a special Disney event last week. GREAT MOVIE!!! A MUST SEE! I love Disney and Tim Burton anyway, but it is well done. Taking my kids to see it when it comes out in October for sure! :)

Carrie September 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Glad to hear you liked it!

Chrysty September 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I fell in love with Mr. Whiskers, too! He’s so cute and looks like my first kitty when I was a kid. His name was Killer (no, I didn’t name him). Great photos :)

Carrie September 22, 2012 at 8:20 AM

That’s a GREAT name for a cat!