Why You Should See “Muppets Most Wanted”

March 20, 2014

When the Muppets got rebooted (again… sorta) in 2012, I wrote a post urging you to go see the movie twice because I’d spent my own first viewing peeking through my fingers in terror that Disney was about to ruin a beloved franchise. It took a second, more relaxed viewing to just let go and enjoy the ride. I also urged you to support the movie so that Disney would make another instead of returning to the wretched-TV-movie formula of the previous decade. And apparently my post worked, cuz they made a sequel! And it’s coming out tomorrow! And you should all go see it!!!

photo photo.jpg

Maybe you’re worried that it won’t be as good as The Muppets. Maybe you figure the Muppets don’t really need your money now that they’ve got their own sequel. Maybe you refuse to patronize any sequel where the characters go to that old standby, London, to make the same movie all over again. Well, worry no more! Muppets Most Wanted (née The Muppets… Again) is as good as The Muppets, it does need your money, and they totally don’t make the same movie all over again. Like Patrick says, The Muppets was great, but what’s really fun to see is the kinds of adventures the Muppets go on now that they’re together again… again.

photo photo1.jpg

Cast and crew screening on the Walt Disney Studios lot

…And speaking of Patrick, he totally worked on this movie too! If you want to spot his handiwork in Muppets Most Wanted, watch for the expert manipulation of Sweetums’ eyes at the train station and everything Beauregard does in the movie’s exciting rooftop climax. (I’m pretty sure that’s not a spoiler because, like, 85% of caper movies have an exciting rooftop climax). Because the movie was shot in England, only the principal puppeteers were sent over from the US to work on it. But when test audiences reportedly said the first cut of the film didn’t have enough heart, new material was added and the entire climax was reshot in Los Angeles, enabling some lucky local puppeteers to take part. Bless you, Disney, for your slavish devotion to focus groups!

photo photo4.jpg

If you have a chance to see it at the El Capitan Theatre, they have props and costumes—including Miss Piggy’s wedding gown—on display

So if you loved The Muppets, I really think you’ll love its sequel. The songs are just as fabulous, the gags are possibly more hilarious, the human stars are a riot, the cameos are thrilling, the story is engaging, and, yes, Muppets Most Wanted has a lot of heart.

photo photo5.jpg

Next door, the Ghirardelli Soda Fountain has the Muppets’ world tour poster in the window—check out some of those stops!

Jenn Paul March 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Yes yes and more yes please! SO STOKED TO SEE IT!!! so glad Patrick was able to help again! I bet it was so fun! I’ll let you know my review when (if?) I get to see it as planned!

Carrie March 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Can’t wait to hear what your family thinks!

Hope at Disneyland March 20, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Of course we’re going to see it! The fact that Patrick “had a hand in it” (*giggle*) is icing on the cake! ;)

Carrie March 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM

LOL! Oh man, you’re good…. :D

Hope at Disneyland March 21, 2014 at 3:11 PM

;D

Carol Palmer March 21, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I love the pic of Patrick w/ the stars!!! His handiwork is “wanted” to be seen by all of us! ;)

Carrie March 21, 2014 at 5:36 PM

LOL! Too funny, Auntie Carol!

Parcorama March 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Thanks for thahis post,!
I’m a total Muppet fan but the previous movie was only released in a single theater here in Brussels, Europe.

This time, the movie won’t even have a theatrical release in belgium and France, while Germany has a country-wide release.
It’s very sad to witness that Disney’s local European markets don’t support the Muppets franchise.

Carrie March 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Oh no — that’s terrible! I mean, the whole movie is about them going on a European tour! I can’t believe they’re not even showing it in two of the most Europe-y of all European countries… But now I know why they were allowed so many French jokes! I do hope you do get a chance to see it at some point.

Heather April 7, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Dear Carrie,
I miss your trip reports.

Carrie April 8, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I’m sorry! We’ve taken a break from Disney recently to focus our time and money on moving to a new home and also, frankly, because I was feeling a bit burned and burned out by Disney. I’ve been trying to roll with the punches as they change and eliminate many of the aspects I love about the parks, but the Court of Angels closure at Disneyland really knocked the wind outta me. I still don’t really feel like going back to Disneyland, but we’re headed to Disney World this fall at least, so hang in there! :)

Heather April 8, 2014 at 1:15 PM

No need for apologies! I totally understand. Just know that you’re missed. I never would have chronicled my trips if it weren’t for reading your blogs, and I’m so glad I did. Me memory is getting a tad unreliable. You’ve also added Tokyo Disneysea to my bucket list, thank you very much!
I hear you on the disappointments. It seems as if they are chipping away at all the little things that make Disney so special. I’m glad I got my Court of Angels pictures last time around! We are celebrating our 25th anniversary at DLR in just a couple of weeks, if you happen to be around (sounds unlikely) and would like to say hey.

Thanks for all the hours of reading!
Blessings,
Heather

Carrie April 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Wow! Congrats on 25 years! :)

Erin June 10, 2014 at 1:55 PM

You are missed! But i truly appreciate the blog posts I’ve enjoyed. You’re a funny and talented writer. I’d read just about any blog you wrote. Wonderful wishes on your new home-

Carrie June 10, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Thank you so much! We just got back from a fun trip to the Walt Disney Family Museum, so I should have some new content on the blog soon!