Mini Cakes Now Available Around Walt Disney World!

March 14, 2012

If you’ve ready many of my trip reports, you’ll know that ever since my wedding I’ve become obsessed by ordering specialty cakes at Walt Disney World. I’ve even compiled a massive FAQ on the process and a complete guide to cake options based on location (since Walt Disney World has no standard system for ordering fancy cakes).

Custom 8-inch cake by the Contemporary Resort Bakery

The trouble with all this cake ordering is that I’ve had to buy a ginormous 6- or 8-inch cake at a hefty price to get fondant and fancy decor. However, in the past year or so, it has become increasingly easy to get certain bakeries to make mini cakes, which are adorable, customizable and only feed 2.

Anniversary re-creation of our wedding cake by BoardWalk Bakery

What I’m also discovering is that they taste WAY better than Disney’s larger cakes, probably due to the lower frosting-to-cake ratio, and even the fondant is more edible than the stuff on larger cakes.

Check out the frosting-to-cake ratio on this baby!

Yes, the prices are pretty outrageous considering how little you get ($30-$55, depending on whether you want fondant), but I’d rather spend $35 on a delicious and entirely eat-able mini cake than $100 on an 8-inch cake that serves 12 and will just go to waste.

Coral & Shells fondant mini cake by the Grand Floridian Bakery

It appears that Yacht & Beach Club Bakery (which historically hasn’t offered custom cakes smaller than 10 inches) has begun offering mini cakes, which means you can now have them delivered to restaurants in Epcot. This dramatically increases the number of places you can get a mini cake on property and is cause for celebration… involving cake!

For complete details on ordering mini cakes at Walt Disney World, see this section of my How to Order a Cake at Walt Disney World page.

Lily Pulitzer-inspired custom mini cake by the Contemporary Resort Bakery

lisa March 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM

nom nom nom

Darby March 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM

OH my Happy Day!!!!! Now I just need to plan a trip so i can order a fancy little cake! :)

Carrie March 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM

That’s the only reason I plan trips these days :)

Hope March 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM

If you ever decide to order a cake at Disneyland that feeds more than 2 people, I’ll help you eat it! ;)

The mini-cakes are such a cute idea. I’m glad that WDW is giving anniversary couples more options when it comes to cake recreations.

Carrie March 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM

You’re on!

Melissa March 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Carrie,

How would I go about ordering a cake while I am in Disneyland???? Thanks!!!

Melissa

Carrie March 16, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Here’s a link to my info on ordering cakes at Disneyland: http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/#disneylandcake You have to be a bit more persistent with them because they don’t do a lot of specialty cakes. Good luck!

Lisa Amadio March 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Thank Carrie!

Ordered one today for Cape May’s at the Beach Club.

Lisa

Carrie March 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Fantastic! :)

Veronica O March 26, 2012 at 6:22 AM

We ran the Goofy Challenge this past January – and I had ordered a celebratory cake from Disney for our last dinner (before flying home) – it was a huge success with the group!!! Not only was the cake pretty – but it was also very yummy! Definitely will do this again – when we do another celebration…. maybe at Disneyland when we run the the Half-Marathon.

Carrie March 26, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Sounds like a great way to celebrate!

Carla March 26, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Love the mini cakes! We will be there again at the end of May (7th anniversary!). Last year, we ended up spending our anniversary dinner with my hubby’s sister, her husband, and their 3 kids–not exactly romantic. This year, although we are all traveling together again, I am determined to have a nice anniversary dinner, strictly for TWO, and the mini cake will be perfect.

Carrie March 26, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!

Claire March 29, 2012 at 2:51 AM

I so want a cake right now.

Carrie March 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I *always* want cake! :D

Liz April 7, 2012 at 1:50 PM

This is great news. I’m planning an anniversary trip next year (Valentine’s Day) and would love a cake for just us two. Are the cakes cheaper without fondant? Are there any flavors you’d recommend or suggest avoiding?

One ADR question if you don’t mind – is it better to call to secure a table at a prime restaurant on a prime day (i.e. Le Cellier or California Grill on Valentine’s Day) or book online?

Thank you!

Carrie April 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Hi Liz! Disney’s cakes are cheaper without fondant, but the price difference is not as great with mini cakes because they still require a lot of work. The cheapest I’ve ever seen was $25. The one flavor I tend to avoid at Disney (chocolate cake) probably won’t be as bland in a mini cake because of the superior cake-to-frosting ratio. :) As to the ADRs, it is my understanding that the online system switches over to the next available date at 6am ET, one hour before the call center opens, so if you’re trying to get a hot-ticket spot the day that your window opens, online might be the way to go!

Kaylin April 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I just got back from Disneyland CA, and it was awesome!!!! Everything was in walking distance! My family and I go to Disney World every year so it was a cool change.

Katie June 24, 2012 at 8:04 PM

How elaborate do you think the designs can get on these mini-cakes? I too don’t want to get a huge 6 inch cake for two people, but I am worried that the designs I have in mind won’t fit around something so small. I haven’t really seen any dramatic designs in the cake thread…

Carrie June 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I think the key with a mini cake is to take an elaborate design and then pare it down to its essentials. Compare our wedding cake to the mini cake version done by BoardWalk Bakery. You might also want to check out the fairly dramatic designs the Grand Floridian did for a wedding show last year as inspiration. Hope this helps!

Katy June 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I just ordered a mini cake to be delivered at Cinderella’s Royal Table last week for my daughter…it’ll be pink with a 3D white chocolate replica of the castle on top and personalized by Cinderella, I can’t wait!

Carrie July 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Fantastic! I bet she’ll love it!

Dawn August 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Is their anyway you can email the picture of the coral and shells mini cake? I want to see if Beach Club can make it for me. Thanks

Carrie August 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Just sent some! Check your Comcast account for a message from my Gmail…

Dawn August 10, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Thank you!

Melissa September 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Hi Carrie,

Your wedding re-creation mini cake adorable! I’ve read your how-tos on anniversary events and the trip reports related to them. I was wondering if there was an anniversary event post or recap of this particular Mini Cake Anniversary. Did I miss that one? I love reading them because it gives me so many ideas for hopefully planning one myself! Thanks for all the help you don’t know you’ve given me! lol. Especially your in-depth trip report for Tokyo. It helped so much for my trip to Tokyo and Tokyo Disney earlier this year!

-Melissa

Carrie September 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I’m so glad you found it helpful! So there is a trip report featuring that cake, but it’s mostly still in my head. You’re not missing out on any big event, though—we try to take every other anniversary “off” from the big Disney hoopla, so we didn’t go for our actual anniversary. But we were there a few weeks ahead of time to attend someone else’s Disney wedding, and I couldn’t resist ordering a cake. I do hope to do a report on what it’s like to be a Disney wedding guest, though, so keep yer eye on the blog!

Melissa September 20, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Aww, the trip report in your head. Looking forward to reading about what it’s like to be an actual Disney wedding guest. Stalkers and crashers- while entertaining- don’t count! Thanks for the reply.

julie November 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM

is there something you can do for graduation – our trip to Disney World in February is my niece’s choice as her senior trip – she loves Disney,

Carrie November 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I’m sure if you phone Disney, they can work with you on a fun graduation-themed cake. Just find the resort or theme park where you’ll be dining on this list to get the phone number: http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/by-location/

Sobeida February 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM

i called the grand floridian cake hotline and got the answering machine and was told to leave a message, how long does it usually take for them to contact you back?

Carrie February 21, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I’d give it a day or three—the contact doesn’t work a regular Mon-Fri week so she may be out of the office.