Forgive me for falling off the face of the earth… We’ve spent the last 2 months packing to move, moving, and unpacking from the move, and these days I’m lucky if I can find my pants in the morning, let alone get a blog update together. So if you will allow me to coast a little longer, I’m reviving the now-annual reposting of one of my most popular posts: “The Fabulous Sounds of Christmas at Disneyland.”
Scroll down and you’ll find MP3s of every song on Disneyland’s Main Street, U.S.A. Christmas music loop. Happy holidays!
Several years ago, MiceAge.com’s Al Lutz posted an article (since updated – click HERE!) with a complete listing of the songs played on Disneyland’s Main Street, U.S.A. at the holidays. Even better, he dug up exactly which album each song came from. However, because Disneyland’s Christmas music loop was created around 1972, most of the tracks on it are from albums that are long out of print and have never been released on CD.
As a former college radio DJ and record shop rat, I zealously took on the challenge of tracking down every single song in the Main Street Christmas loop. Starting in the spring, I spent six or eight months combing local record stores, trawling the web, and stalking eBay. Along the way I may have overpaid for a couple of records, but I also enjoyed the thrill of discovery every time I came upon another rare gem.
After I’d collected all the albums (some of which, I realized, may once have been in my Lawrence Welk-loving grandma’s record collection), I had to digitize the songs with a complicated setup involving my record player, a 4-track recorder and my computer, since they hadn’t invented those USB turntables yet. Some of the records were not in the greatest shape, so a few of the songs have quite a bit of authentic hiss and pop that was impossible to filter out.
Next I spent an inordinate amount of time sequencing the songs so that they flowed seamlessly and there were no duplicates of songs or artists back to back (tricky to do when there are two versions of “Jingle Bells” and of “White Christmas,” plus five songs by the same artist). I’m not sure now why I didn’t go with the actual in-park sequence that Al documented…. I guess the me of seven years ago thought she knew better than whichever cast member slaved over the very same task back in 1972!
The last project was creating packaging for my new compilation album, which I’d dubbed The Fabulous Sounds of Christmas at Disneyland! I used the various Christmas albums’ art as inspiration and found these blank CDsdesigned to look like 45s, with plastic grooves in the top and everything!
I was so pleased with the results that I made copies of my album for everyone I knew who was even remotely interested in Disneyland and/or Christmas, and it’s become an annual tradition to search out new people on whom to inflict my pet project.
Which is why this year I’m giving The Fabulous Sounds of Christmas at Disneyland! to all of you. Posted below are all the songs, plus a PDF file of the cover art, if you feel like burning the album to a disc. To grab the MP3 file, right-click on the song title and select “Save Link As…” or its equivalent. Note that the songs on my version are not arranged in the order in which they play at Disneyland—for that sequence you’ll have to check out Al’s article. But I did include a bonus track not found on the original Main Street Christmas loop…
And for all you Walt Disney World fans, I’ve noticed that the loop played in the Magic Kingdom at Christmastime sounds an awful lot like Disneyland’s, so maybe this album will work for you too!
The Fabulous Sounds of Christmas at Disneyland
1. White Christmas – Lawrence Welk
2. The Christmas Tree – David Rose
3. Zu Bethlehem Geboren – A Music Box Christmas
4. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer – Ed Sullivan Presents Music of Christmas
5. Twelve Days of Christmas – David Rose
6. Silver Bells – Raymond Lefevre
7. Caroling, Caroling – Hollywood Pops Orchestra
8. Still, Still, Holy Melody – A Music Box Christmas
9. I’ll Be Home for Christmas – Lawrence Welk
10. Jingle Bells – Raymond Lefevre
11. The First Noel – Ed Sullivan Presents Music of Christmas
12. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen – Lawrence Welk
13. Lobe Den Herren – A Music Box Christmas
14. Toyland – David Rose
15. Deck the Halls – Lawrence Welk
16. Petit Papa Noel – Raymond Lefevre
17. Ihr Kinderlein Kommet – Felix Slatkin
18. White Christmas – Ed Sullivan Presents Music of Christmas
19. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing – A Music Box Christmas
20. Carol of the Bells – Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra
21. The Christmas Song – David Rose
22. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer – Lawrence Welk
23. O Tannenbaum – A Music Box Christmas
24. Christmas Waltz – David Rose
25. Jingle Bell Rock – Hollyridge Strings
26. Ihr Kinderlein Kommet – A Music Box Christmas
27. Deck the Halls – Felix Slatkin
28. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing – Lawrence Welk
29. Jingle Bells – A Music Box Christmas
30. Do You Hear What I Hear? – Ed Sullivan Presents Music of Christmas
31. Believe… In Holiday Magic